Whenever you bake using vanilla beans, did you throw away the bean after scraping out the vanilla seeds? There is a very easy way to save them and put them to good use for your future baking projects.
Simply save the scraped out vanilla beans from your baking projects to make your own vanilla sugar. Your homemade vanilla sugar makes an awesome vegan, healthy and alcohol-free vanilla extract replacement, that is suitable for pregnant women, nursing moms and kids.
What you will need:
– scraped out vanilla beans
– a glass jar with lid
– vegan granulated sugar to fill up the jar
How to make it:
1. First of all place the scraped out vanilla beans in a clean and dry jar. If they are too long to fit into the glass, just cut them to smaller pieces.
2. Then fill up the jar with vegan granulated sugar.
3. Next close the lid and let it rest for 2-4 weeks. The sugar will absorb the aroma of the vanilla beans. If the sugar is sticking together a bit after re-opening it, simply stir it with a spoon. You can add scraped out vanilla beans whenever you have some more leftovers. As well you can add more sugar, when you have used up some of the sugar from the glass.
Making your own vanilla sugar is a great way to using up the vanilla bean leftovers from your baking and to producing a homemade, healthy, vegan and alcohol-free substitute for industrial-made vanilla extract.
Enjoy your lovely natural scented vanilla sugar!